We've tried to raise awareness in previous Sycamore Sisters blog posts such as THIS and THIS and THIS. I could go on and on about Down syndrome - what it's like to have a child with Down syndrome (simply AWESOME), the need for spreading awareness/acceptance/inclusion, etc. But, I need to save some of that for future posts! :)
So, for today, we thought we'd give you a little peek into a little angel we know with 21 chromosomes. We want to share 21 things (we can't say "facts" because some are "opinions"...but they are TRUE opinions!) about Little Lauryn. Many of these "factopinions" are from Lauryn's siblings - biological and "sycamorical".
1. 21 is a lucky number in our family...I (Jen) was born on Oct 21...John (Jen's husband) was born on July 21...and Lauryn was born on August 21 - with 21 chromosomes. (She is 19 months old today!).
|This picture was taken at Community North Hospital by the wonderful hospital photographer! Lauryn was a little over 3 weeks old.|
2. Lauryn likes to pull hair (the kids started a game with her when she was a few months old to encourage her grasp...now it's just a game to her to get a reaction!). (Will, Ben and Maddie)
3. She has specific games she likes to play with Tyler (that he's "made up" with her)...the latest being a game to help her make the "O" sound!
|Tyler showing her the "O"...|
|She's laughing "with" him, not "at" him...right? :)|
5. She loves to play ball. (Ben)
6. She's cute! (Andrew)
7. Lauryn can do sign language, speak a few words, crawl (in her own way!), pull up, cruise furniture, stand by herself momentarily, and will be walking very soon! She recently let go of the coffee table to step towards the couch - BY HERSELF! (Life as we know it will soon change).
8. She has a keen sense for telling when someone has left the pantry door open...and she can sneak in to get the cat food and water!
9. She is always playful! (Matthew) She likes to do things herself (like pull toy tubs down) and gets into everything!
11. She always closes doors! (Ben)
12. She loves glasses! (Andrew) - and will (sneakily and quickly) grab them off a face!
13. She is a big fan of music/songs and games like "Peek-A-Boo"!
14. She is a super special Goddaughter. (Tyler)
15. Lauryn's favorite foods are pizza and macaroni & cheese.
16. She crawls (or crawl-scoots) REALLY fast! (Will)
17. Lauryn's "looks" crack us up! You can tell exactly what she's thinking - she has a tendency to raise her eyebrows to help her expressions!
18. She loves to blow kisses! (Maddie)
19. Lauryn loves to follow (chase) the cats around the house.
20. One of her favorite parts of the day is when Daddy comes through the door around 5:00 pm...she is a Daddy's Girl!
21. Even though she is a girl, she is in our Boy Club! (Matthew) - let it be known she is the ONLY girl in the Boy Club - for now, anyway. Claire and Maddie are NOT happy about this.
We could share at least another 2100 wonderful things about Little Lauryn...she's simply AMAZING and a huge blessing to our family, community and world. Help us continue to spread awareness by reminding others that we are WAY more alike than different.
Happy World Down Syndrome Day!